What is more retro than Tuna Casserole?
There are only two kinds of people in this world, those that LOVE Tuna Casserole and those that HATE Tuna Casserole. Interesting side note here, would it be the same people who love or hate Christmas fruit cake…..I LOVE both 🙂
This recipe uses mashed chick peas as the Tuna substitute. I mashed them with a fork so that they did not get too smooth.
The “fishy” taste comes from dulse flakes, a mild seaweed with a fresh salty side to it, perfect for this recipe.
Classic Tuna(less) Casserole
- 1 can chickpeas drained and mashed with a fork
- 2 cups cooked pasta (I used mini lasagne noodles)
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 or 2 Tblspns dulse flakes (depending on how much of a “fishy” taste you like)
- 1 tspn lemon pepper
- crushed potato chips (enough to cover top)
- 2 Tblspns nutritional yeast
Combine all ingredients except potato chips and nutritional yeast,
Put in casserole dish. Cover with crushed potato chips, sprinkle with nutritional yeast,
Bake uncovered in 325 F oven for 20 mins till bubbly.